Scorers: CJ & Shane
Write-up by Crespo
The Orange and Blue were brimming with confidence after going undefeated for the best part of two months. So much so we turned down the opportunity to bank another 3 points with the default and doing the right thing we offered to re-schedule a game against our rivals the Scarfies.
A mid-week Scarfies side is a different kettle of fish to the weekend warriors that usually grace the grounds of Wellington on a Saturday afternoon and boy was this game no different.
Perhaps we were naive in thinking lessons had been learnt in who you can and cannot field for Cap 7 games because their champagne football that graced Wellington College was worthy of Cap 3 +.
18.00 rolls round and the Elite are getting their last minute team talk. Not sure what was said but probably along the lines of ‘hopefully they will turn up soon’.
18.00-18.15 With the screeching of car tyres the Scarfies poured out of the car after having a ground change from their 3rd team practise and with the ref Cory arriving we are ready to roll.
18.15 Kick off – Sorry it’s a bit hazy as wasn’t really paying attention to much other than to my twitter account (Crespo10NZ looking to build on my 15 followers) but I will sum up the first half as follows in no particular order:
- We discovered the pass back to the goalie. With a new goalie in between the sticks that was confident on both feet and wanting the ball we were able to add another dimension to our game. We played from the back and tried to hold for possession as much as possible.
- We got caught playing this which lead to one of their first goals. Our own Vic Uni student (conspiracy? J) was caught deep in our own half and with the quality of the opposition they managed to make full advantage of any errors we made.
- They were able to control the middle of the park for extended periods and were good as using the width playing in between our midfield and defenders and pushing us back.
- We rattled the bar a couple of times. Andrew & Nips from close range and CJ from a free kick.
- Injury to Goose, Knee injury, hope it’s not too bad and you’re not out for too long
- Pete missed 3 or 4 chances.
- Andrew had two whiskeys in the space of 15 seconds.
- They scored a screamer taking the ball from close to the edge of the centre circle and dribbling to edge of box and firing it in far post with bad leg. Quality finish 4-0.
Half time 4-0 Scarfies.
To be honest we had played a lot better than the score line suggested with the big difference being that they had the quality to finish everything they created.
Second half summary:
- Niall turns up.
- IMO the best 45 mins we have played this year.
- We were better at making desperate tackles esp in the middle of the park and not giving them the time to dictate play.
- Held possession, played as a team, played the right way and was rarely wasteful whenever we had the ball.
- The quality of the football was really good from both sides.
- Everyone was making themselves available for the pass and we played with a lot better width.
- Scored a couple of good goals. Shane with a great finish and CJ from an acute angle from a couple of metres out.
- They only threatened from distance and from corners
- Pete cleaned up one of their players.
Final Score Elite 2 – University compilation 4
MVP points – Men of match.
2 – Damo. Made a number of great tackles, dropped deep all the time to make himself available for goal kicks, was good with distribution from the back and played a big part in the possession type of football we played.
2 – Decs. Ran all day and was a great linking man between the back and the front.
2 – CJ. Lead the team well in Adams absence. Scored a goal. Provided a great outlet from up the front and again provided a good link between the mid and the strikers.
Note: Big thanks for the legal ring-ins who were able to help us with a few out with Football United commitments.
Back to 4K to watch the Nix beat the Hammers and see both Dave and Adam with the fever topless after 80 mins. Dec’s grinning from ear to ear.
As a side note lads, unfortunately Goose has a tear in his Lateral ligament and is done for the season. I know a few of you were asking after him. Thanks again to the Arms lads for helping out